The Adventures of a Vintage Style Lingerie and Foundations Designer

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Guess who shares my birthday?

The bra.

On May 27th, I had my golden birthday and the bra had it's 100th birthday.  That's like the platinum birthday?  I don't know how these things work.  Anyway, fate a bit much?  Yes, I think so.   :)

With further inspection, I found (according to the New York Times), underwear was first worn in two pieces in 1889, and the word "brassiere" was first used in 1907, but it wasn't until 1910 when "the New York socialite Mary Phelps Jacob constructed the first bra as we would recognize it today."

Just disregard the opening quote in that article, I only wish the bras in my collection took 20 minutes to make.  Please take comfort in knowing that a lot more time and love goes into each of my creations than that!  ;p

A good page for the history of the bra.


No comments:

Post a Comment